It seems that the devil likes to attack us after times of great victory in our Christian lives. He uses several methods. He tempts us with thoughts and sights which will hinder our spiritual life. Or he will do his best to let our circumstances discourage us. I believe our strongest weapon against such attacks is God's Word. When we read in Matthew 3:16-17 we see an example of great spiritual victory in the Baptism of Jesus. However, immediately after that we are told in Matthew 4:1 "Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil." When we read of the three temptations, we should be encouraged by the fact that Jesus used the Word of God to overcome these temptations. I believe that He didn't use His supernatural powers as the Son of God because he wanted you and me to see the adequacy of God's Word in thwarting the devil.
God's Word is our strongest weapon when we are tempted or discouraged by the devil. Jesus also knew that in the years to come, the Word of God would be our only resource, we wouldn't be able to perform miracles, but we would have the Word of God at our fingertips. God's Word has the positive answer for all our negative thoughts.
- We say, it's impossible." God's Word says, "...The things which are impossible with men are possible with God" (Luke 18:27).
- We say, "I'm tired." God's Word says, "Come unto Me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28).
- We say, "Nobody loves me." God's Word says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (John 3:16).
- We say, "I can't figure things out." God's Word says, "Trust in the Lord will all thine heart; and lean not on thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths" (Proverbs 3:5-6).
- We say, "I can't go on." God's Word says, "...My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness" (2 Corinthians 12:9).
- We say, "I can't do it." God's Word says, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me" (Philippians 4:13).
- We say, "I can't forgive myself." God's Word says, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind" (2 Timothy 1:7).
- We say, "I am worried and frustrated." God's Word says, "Casting all your care upon Him: for He careth for you" (1 Peter 5:7).
- We say, "I don't have enough faith." God's Word says, "...God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith" (Romans 12:3).
- We say, "I'm all alone." God's Word says, "...I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee" (Hebrews 13:5).
When the devil tempts us or attempts to discourage us, may we apply these wonderful promises from God's Word to help us live victorious lives.
From: PGM News, April 2013 issue
By: Dave McCarrell